Saturday, January 30, 2010

More bad luck

As my attempts to learn Sync Framework continue, I find even more issues along the way, this time with the SQLCE runtime. The basic scenario boils down to attempting to fill a Detail view from a dataset linked to a SQL Compact Edition datasource. When the application is run, an error message to the effect of

Unable to load DLL 'sqlceme35.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E).

is displayed, and the application crashes. After trying many different things to solve the problem, a simple google search on the exact error yields the solution. Basically it is a problem on Vista and Win7 x64 environments, and simply requires you to install SQl Compact Edition SP1 found here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DC614AEE-7E1C-4881-9C32-3A6CE53384D9&displaylang=en#filelist.

I guess I was just surprised that it was not included as part of Visual Studio 2008 SP1.

A colleague of mine Mitch Denny has told me that “If I was going to pick a person to clear a minefield you would be that person”, I replied that I was hoping it meant he believed I had special unique skills for finding and defusing mines, and not just that I am expendable.

No comments:

Post a Comment