Wednesday, April 18, 2007

It's had its fair chance, time to switch back

That's it I've had it with IE7, I used to use firefox for the vast amount of my work until IE7 came out, and in the spirit of giving IE7 a fair trial, I decided to use it as my default browser. I started this back when I was still running Windows XP, and I was then using IE7 Beta 2, and the odd crash was acceptable for a beta product. I liked the tabbed browsing, and thought theat they actually did some things slightly better than firefox. I was impressed with the efforts made in standards support, and for this reason, I had persisted with it, even though the rendering engine is significantly slower (up to 5 times slower in some cases). When I started running Visat in november last year, I noticed that from time to time IE would crash (even though it was now out of beta), but I thought "patience... Microsoft are fairly good at stabilizing their products.... eventually, and the release of Vista was a rather rushed one, just so they could get it out the door before the end of the year, so I can expect that there may be some bugs that they find and fix along the way". Well, it's now mid April, and Internet Explorer is still crashing quite frequently, and today as I was browsing some Micosoft web sites, it crashed again. This is the final straw, I think they've had long enough to fix these problems. I've just switched back to firefox as my default browser.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:55 pm

    Hey dude,
    Why not give maxthon a try?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:06 pm

    Their improvements in standards support aren't *that* impressive. Really, all they did is fix a bunch of rendering bugs, added transparent PNG support, and did a few other easy bits while they were there.

    It doesn't come close to Firefox, or Opera or KHTML for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, at least they're actively trying to become more standards compliant. I assume you know that Molly E. Holzschlag is now consulting with them to improve their standards support (http://sjbdeveloper.blogspot.com/2007/02/molly-helps-microsoft-with-standards.html)

    ReplyDelete